[BioC] DESeq padj problem

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Tue Nov 20 02:49:19 CET 2012

It looks like you don't have any biological replicates, so getting no
significant differentially expressed genes is probably a valid result.
Biological replicates are important for proper dispersion estimates,
and without them, your only option is to use estimateDispersions with
method="blind" and sharingMode="fit-only", which will greatly limit
your power to detect differential expression. See the DESeq manual,
section 3.3:

"Hence, any attempt to work without replicates will lead to conclusions
of very limited reliability. Nevertheless, such experiments are
sometimes undertaken, and the DESeq package can deal with them, even
though the soundness of the results may depend much on the
circumstances."

 I don't know if there's much you can do to salvage the situation here.
Perhaps if two of the three conditions are expected to be similar to
each other, with the third one being more different, you can estimate
dispersions using factor(c("A1", "A1", "A3")) as your condition vector.
Other than that, I'm afraid you may simply be out of luck for detecting
and differential expression from these samples. The standard advice
would be "do more replicates".

Hope this helps,

-Ryan Thompson