[BioC] RobustSpline normalization method applied to agilent data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 29 01:43:44 CET 2012

Dear Sylvia,

My original motivation for creating the robustspline method was to
moderate the normalization curves between multiple print tip groups.
This was an important issue for the spotted two-colour microarrays that
were popular ten years ago.  With modern Agilent two colour arrays, there
are no print tips and no print tip groups, so much of the motivation for
robustspline normalization is no longer relevant.  However the method can
be used even when there are no print tips (or just one print tip group),
in which case robustspline simply fits a single curve.  In this situation,
the method is closely analogous to global loess, with a regression spline
replacing the loess curve and with high-breakdown robust regression
replacing the loess robustifying weights.  The method has potential
advantages over loess normalization when there a lot of differential
expression or the differential expression is assymetric.  I do not
actively promote it however.

Priscilla got an error previously because she tried to set the printer
layout herself and the settings did not agree with the number of probes on
your arrays.  If one specifies a single tip group with:

   RG$printer <- list(ngrid.r=1,ngrid.c=1,nspot.r=nr,nspot.c=nc)

then nr*nc must equal the total number of probes on your arrays.  It is
usually best not to over-ride the settings that the software does itself
unless you're very sure of what they are doing.

I don't understand your question about error messages depending on which
package is used, because robustspline normalization is something I created
and is only available in the limma package.

The software you are using is two Bioconductor releases out of date.
Please update to current software.  See the posting guide, which asks you
to ensure that your packages are up-to-date.

Is there any reason why you are setting the column names yourself instead
of just using source="agilent.median"?

Best wishes
Gordon