[BioC] Assigning gene symbols to Affymetrix data and averaging probes

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Oct 3 20:48:51 CEST 2012

Hi Lesley,

On 10/3/2012 2:29 PM, Hoyles, Lesley wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> Thanks, the reannotation worked a treat. I've been able to export the normalized data in annotated format.
>
> I am adverse to removing probes that have no Entrez ID associated with them as I want to put the whole set of data through limma. I can't use the annotated expr.loess in lmFit, but is there a way I can get the symbol information into the output of lmFit (for instance, as fit$symbol)?

There is a 'genes' slot to an MArrayLM object (the output from e.g.,
lmFit) into which you can stuff a data.frame containing gene symbols, etc.

Another option is to use the annaffy package to do the annotation. And
if you are going to use annaffy and limma, then I should make a
shameless plug for the affycoretools package, which contains a function
designed to go from an MArrayLM object to annotated output in a single
function call (outputting HTML or text files).

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.