[BioC] DEseq version and R version compatibility

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Oct 4 15:41:56 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM, José Luis Lavín <jluis.lavin at unavarra.es> wrote:
> Hello Sean,
>
> The main problem with updating the R version of the servers is that I'm not
> the SysAdmin, and he told me that they couldn't update it at the moment
> because they have some processes and pipelines that need the old R version
> (2.13), so he can't update it (weird, isn't it?). That's why I was looking
> for such strange compatibility...
> Anyway, due to my current low level on R scripting, when I come across a
> command that isn't functional I don't really know what to do but trying to
> use another manual version hoping the code there will fix it...but I've had
> no luck with that at the moment. That's why I asked about this.
> I'll keep trying to make DEseq work, but I begin to feel stupid, reading
> everybody seems to be able to run it except myself.

If you have a good relationship with your sysadmin, ask him/her to
help you to install R in your home directory.  This is not hard to do
(hopefully, for a sysadmin) and will allow you to run a different
version of R than that already installed on the system.  Really, doing
this will be much better than copying code from various versions of
packages to "just make it work".

Sean