[BioC] DESeq diagnostics

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sun Oct 7 15:31:31 CEST 2012

Dear Michael

the plots look fine, as far as it is possible to tell. What exactly are you worried about?

Normalising to the majority, as DESeq does, works well for experiments where the expression changes are sparse, or symmetric. If these conditions are not met, spike-ins offer an alternative, but they can be fiddly experimentally, and if there are only few, accuracy can be problematic. These problems are well known, there is no simple cure, you just have to deal with them.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang