[BioC] EdgeR gof plot below line

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 10 03:29:33 CEST 2012

Dear Thomas,

You could have created the same plot more simply by

   gof(fit, plot=TRUE)

Your plot looks as if the dispersion estimates entered to glmFit were
systematically too big.

This could arise, for example, if your counts are less dispersed than
Poisson, because edgeR can't estimate dispersions to be less than zero.
This of course would suggest a problem with the source of your data.

With more usual data, it is very hard to imagine how correct use of edgeR
could lead to a gof plot like you attach.

Best wishes
Gordon