[BioC] get al microRNA target sites for a given gene

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:53:33 CEST 2012

Hi Javier,

On 10/15/2012 11:42 AM, Javier Pérez Florido wrote:
> Dear list,
> How can I obtain all microRNA target sites for a given gene?

Do you want miRNA target *sites* or target genes? Also, what do you mean
by 'all'? To my knowledge, miRNA->mRNA mapping is based on sequence
similarity, which implies a cutoff that can be varied (so 'all' is a
relative term).

Anyway, you could use the microCosm files that you can download here:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/enright-srv/microcosm/cgi-bin/targets/v5/download.pl

The files contain the Ensembl transcript ID, as well as the chr, start
and end. So a simple tapply() (or by()) will give you the by-transcript
miRNAs, and you can go from there.

Best,

Jim