[BioC] GenomicRanges::nearest (especially follow)

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 17 06:56:16 CEST 2012

Hi Harris, Val, Michael,

Right now, all those distances are equal to 8, which I think is what
we want:

   distance(IRanges(1,2), IRanges(10,16))
   distance(IRanges(10,16), IRanges(1,2))
   distance(IRanges(1,2), IRanges(10,9))
   distance(IRanges(10,9),IRanges(1,2))
   distance(IRanges(3,2), IRanges(10,16))
   distance(IRanges(10,16), IRanges(3,2))
   distance(IRanges(3,2), IRanges(10,9))
   distance(IRanges(10,9), IRanges(3,2))

Yes, from a mathematical point of view, the distance between a
non-empty set and an empty set if not defined, but I'm not sure there
would be much to gain in doing this. Some use cases would be needed.
What's nice about the current behavior is that zero-width ranges are
not treated any differently than other ranges.

H.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences