[BioC] Data filtering

Mark Robinson mark.robinson at imls.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 19 07:42:42 CEST 2012

Dear Anand,

One subtle thing … from the scale of the plot, my guess is that you ran plotMDS() on a matrix of counts?  Note that this could be different (and is very different computationally) from running plotMDS() on a DGEList object, which does a ("normalized") count-specific calculation.  Here is an example:

library(edgeR)
counts <- matrix(rnbinom(6000, size = 1/2, mu = 10),1000,6)
counts[1:200,4:6] <- counts[1:200,4:6] + 10
y <- DGEList(counts)
cols <- rep(c("black","blue"),each=3)
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plotMDS(y,col=cols)
plotMDS(y$counts,col=cols)

I'm not sure how much that will change your result, but at least it's on a more appropriate scale to think about the decision to exclude samples and so on.

Mark