[BioC] better security for bioconductor cloud ami

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 19 19:03:34 CEST 2012

Hi Ajay,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Ajay Ohri <ohri2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List
>
> I am researching for my book for Springer " R for Cloud Computing". The
> Bioconductor cloud AMI is awesome

Thanks! Your book sounds very interesting.

> Is it possible we could modify the template for Bioconductor Stack ( or
> post instructions for following within the cloud ami)
>
> 1) changing username and password (from ubuntu /bioc to something custom)
> 2) tightening the default security group to IP address/es of person trying
> to get in

There are a couple of approaches you could take. One would be to fork
your own instance of the BioC AMI (instructions for this are on the
AMI page on the BioC web site:
http://bioconductor.org/help/bioconductor-cloud-ami/#custom)

Then you can make whatever changes you want.

Another thing you could do would be to make your own CloudFormation
template, changing the security group settings. You could also add
some startup code which changes the password of the ubuntu user.

> Some additional suggestions may be to bundle a DBMS (postgres/mysql) to it.

Thanks. Do you have a preference? What would you use it for, if you
don't mind my asking?

> Once again, my regards to this endeavor

Thanks,
Dan