[BioC] MetaArray - results - how to interpret

Robert Scharpf rscharpf at jhsph.edu
Mon Oct 22 19:22:06 CEST 2012

Adrian,

You probably want poeRes$poe.  'poe' is short for "probability of expression" and is a transformed matrix of gene expression values (number of genes x number of samples).  Interpretation of under and over-expression depends on how the phenotype is defined.  According to the poe.mcmc helpfile, if normal is group 1 and is coded as '1' and group 2 is coded as '0', then positive values on the poe scale would be interpreted as the probability that the gene is over-expressed in group 2 relative to group 1.

POE for biologists:

http://www.biotechniques.com/multimedia/archive/00072/Mar03Scharpf_72034a.pdf

Since you have 3 datasets, one option is to run poe.mcmc on the three datasets independently and use ordinary measures of differential expression on the combined studies (I believe Shen et al., 2004 BMC Genomics describes this appoach).  fyi, other packages useful for analyzing multiple studies include the R packages RankProd (uses a rank product), XDE (a Bayesian multilevel model; Scharpf et al., 2009 JASA ), and the references therein.

Rob