[BioC] Using edgeR with no replicates, estimating dispersion and the pseudo.alt slot

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Oct 27 01:30:58 CEST 2012

Dear Mick,

When you choose your own value for the dispersion, the intention is that
you simply input the pre-determined value into exactTest(), like so:

   y <- matrix(rnbinom(40,size=1/0.4,mu=10),nrow=20,ncol=2)
   d <- DGEList(counts=y,group=1:2)
   et <- exactTest(d,dispersion=0.4)

There is no need for the pseudo.counts to be computed.  And you can't
possibly expect estimateTagwiseDisp() to run, because it needs replicates.
If there isn't enough data to estimate a common dispersion, how could
there be enough data to estimate tagwise dispersions?

If you want to compute the pseudo.counts for another purpose, then the
function equalizeLibSizes() is provided:

   d2 <- equalizeLibSizes(d,dispersion=0.4)

But be aware that the edgeR authors have not recommended the pseudo.counts
as a measure of normalized expression.

Finally, let me mention that the 'pseudo.alt' component has been renamed
'pseudo.counts' in the latest release of edgeR.  It is generally advisable
to install and work with the current release version of edgeR and
Bioconductor.

Best wishes
Gordon