[BioC] transcriptLocs2refLocs Bug when strand is negative

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Sep 1 15:49:54 CEST 2012

On 08/31/2012 04:22 PM, Cook, Malcolm wrote:
> Herve et al,
>
> I believe that transcriptLocs2refLocs is implemented incorrectly for
> negative strands.
>
> The bug appears in the example of its use you provided in
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2011-March/038173.html
>
> I think you will agree that the third result should be:
> [[3]]
> [1] 5899 6291

Hi Malcolm

In the example the exon coordinates (always in 1-based 'leftmost'
cooredinates') are

start:  c(6291L, 5278L)
   end:  c(6500L, 5899L)

so on the minus strand the 5' -> 3' transcript is from 6500 --> 6291 and
then 5899 -> 5271, and is 832 nt long.

The first (5') nucleotide on the transcript comes from position 6500,
the 832nd nucleotide comes from the 3' ('leftmost', when the exon is on
the minus strand) end of the second exon, at genomic coordinate 5278.
These are the values that transcriptLocs2refLocs returns.

Martin