[BioC] Advice on experimental setup

David Westergaard david at harsk.dk
Wed Sep 5 14:53:51 CEST 2012

Hi Alex,

There is no control group as such. One of the diets is somewhat of a
control group, but not quite because it is still a diet that has some
'special' properties. I am used to working with experiments which has
atleast one control group, so this setup is a bit out of my domain,
which is the reason I'm asking this list for advice.

I guess what I meant by 'differentially expressed genes for each
diet', was a list of genes that can be attributed to this exact diet.
Now that I think about it, it may be more appropriate to collect mRNA
at the start, mid and end of the experiment, and measure the change in
each group, instead of comparing these. The experiment is set to run
for 4months. I have not before dealt with experiments which have ran
for so long.
Would the data collected be suited for microarray analysis? And if so,
when should the microarray analysis be performed? When each sample is
collected, or all together at the end?

Best,
David