[BioC] how to build a R package with the inclusion of inst/extdata

Yue Li gorillayue at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:25:23 CEST 2012

Sorry Steve, I'm actually stuck at building the package with inst/extdata. This is my first time trying to build a R package, so please bear with me. Let me walk you through my (incorrect) approach:

I have a set of R scripts and Rd files that need to be built into a package. I deliberately make all examples in my Rd files trivial such as simply running ls() to pass the test.  I can successfully build the package by running the following steps:

(1) construct package skeleton in R console:
scriptDir <- "~/Desktop/myRscripts/"

outDir <- "~/Desktop/"

sourceFiles <- list.files(path=scriptDir, pattern="[a-zA-Z]+\\.R$", full.names=TRUE, recursive=TRUE)

package.skeleton(name="mypackage", code_files=sourceFiles, path=outDir)

I now have a folder named "mypackage" sitting on my ~/Desktop. In a shell script, I do this:

(2) replace the skeleton Rd files in ~/Desktop/mypackage/man with my prepared Rd files by:

cp ~/Desktop/myRDfiles/*.Rd ~/Desktop/mypackage/man/

(3) R CMD build ~/Desktop/mypackage

(4) R CMD check ~/Desktop/mypackage_0.99.0.tar.gz

(5) R CMD INSTALL ~/Desktop/mypackage_0.99.0.tar.gz

All of the above steps work fine. But now I at the stage of writing concrete examples for each function and use R CMD check in step (4) to make sure that the examples do get run successfully during compilation time. Some of the examples involve using BAM files and I need to put them into the package so that the package gets shipped with these BAM files as test data exactly as the ShortRead package.

I learn that creating a subdirectory called "inst/extdata" inside the package folder (as in ShortRead) is a conventional way to put the test data in . So after step (2), I do this

cp inst/extdata ~/Desktop/mypackage

But then I cannot successfully perform (3) as it returns error:

$ R CMD build mypackage/
* checking for file ‘mypackage/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
* preparing ‘mypackage’:
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* excluding invalid files
Subdirectory 'man' contains invalid file names:
  ‘.Rhistory’
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* building ‘mypackage_0.99.0.tar.gz’
/usr/bin/gnutar: mypackage/inst/extdata/expt1/accepted_hits_noDup.bam: file changed as we read it
/usr/bin/gnutar: mypackage/inst/extdata/expt2/accepted_hits_noDup.bam: file changed as we read it
/usr/bin/gnutar: mypackage/inst/extdata/expt3/accepted_hits_noDup.bam: file changed as we read it
 ERROR
packaging into .tar.gz failed

I'm just wondering at which step between (1) and (5) could I somehow incorporate the inst/extdata into the package and make the tar ball containing the inst/extdata.

Thanks much for your patient helps!
Yue