[BioC] A metric to determine best filtration in the limma package

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Sep 11 01:59:30 CEST 2012

Dear Mark,

I think that voom() should be pretty tolerant of the amount of filtering
that is done, so you can feel free to be more inclusive.

Note that our recommended filtering is

   keep <- rowSums(cpm(dge) > k) >= X

where X is the sample size of the smallest group size.  Since X is usually
smaller than half the number of arrays, our recommended filtering is
usually more inclusive than the filter you give.

You are also free to vary k, depending on your sequencing depth.  The idea
is to filter low counts.

Best wishes
Gordon