[BioC] DESeq - Estimating Dispersion with Technical Replicates

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Sep 15 14:29:14 CEST 2012

Dear Andrés

thank you for your report. From the error message that you sent, it
seems that you are using an older version of DESeq. Can you update to
the latest version (ideally [1], but at least the latest release,
version 1.8.3).

You say "according to the user guide provided by Simon Anders, we must
*sum up* their counts to get a single column ... I end up with two
columns: each one representing a condition that has the *mean* counts
from the two technical replicates...."
Please do use the sum, not the mean.

Then, please consider the vignette [2], which addresses your use-case in
Section 3.3 "Working without any replicates" and recommends this code:

  cds2 = estimateDispersions( cds2, method="blind",
                       sharingMode="fit-only" )

If your problem persists, please send the output of 'sessionInfo()' in
your next report. (So we don't need to chase after problems that already
have been fixed.)

[1] http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/DESeq.html
[2]
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/vignettes/DESeq/inst/doc/DESeq.pdf

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Sep/15/12 6:14 AM, Andres Eduardo Rodriguez Cubillos scripsit: