[BioC] Simple minfi question

Gustavo Fernández Bayón gbayon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:23:31 CEST 2012

Hi everybody.

I have been playing a little bit with the minfi package, using some 450k data we have received. I have seen that dmpFinder function uses a F-test when looking for differentially methylated positions (when type is 'categorical').

Until now, as a newbie, I have been usually searching for these DMP's with t-tests and posterior multiple testing corrections. I have been looking for info but, as always, my lack of statistics knowledge is becoming a major handicap.

Question is, why F-test instead of t-test? Are both methods valid? Or is there a specific reason for this preference?

By the way, my congratulations to Kasper Daniel Hansen and Martin Aryee for their amazing work. I have several projects coming with 450k data, and minfi will surely be of great help.

Regards,
Gustavo