[BioC] edgeR GLM error

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 21 01:16:18 CEST 2012

Dear Javier,

I don't see the slightest evidence of any error or problem.

You cannot prejudge how many DE transcripts you should get, and I have no
idea what you mean by "associated transcripts" anyway.

This is the last reply I will make to this thread.

If you wish to receive help with using edgeR, please use a more
informative subject heading for your email and explain your question in
terms that others can understand.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
http://www.statsci.org/smyth

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Javier Simón-Sánchez wrote:

> HI, thanks a lot for your reply. The reason I think there's an error is
> because i get ~3000 associated transcripts, which in my opinion is too
> much, espescially because is the same amount I would get when using a
> pairwise comparison. Because of this, I think the package is not modulating
> for the brain region...
>
> I checked in the list but no one had this problem. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot for our time and replies!
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Gordon K Smyth <smyth at wehi.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Dear Javier,
>>
>> I don't see the slightest evidence of any error or problem.  In fact, you
>> say that everything is running properly.
>>
>> You might find it helpful to have a look at the posting guide:
>>
>>  http:://www.bioconductor.org/**doc/postingGuide.html<http://www.bioconductor.org/doc/postingGuide.html>
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Gordon
>>

>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Javier Simón-Sánchez wrote:
>>
>>  Hello Gordon,
>>>
>>> Again, thank you for your recent help on this. As I tyold you, I managed
>>> un my analysis. However, I get the impression that the model is adjusting
>>> propoerly.
>>>
>>> I want to run Cases vs Controls controling for differences beteween brain
>>> fregions but IM getting ~300- associated p values after correcting for
>>> multiple testing. The code im using is:
>>>
>>> library(limma)
>>> library(edgeR)
>>> x <- read.delim("/myexpressiondata.**txt",row.names="Symbol")
>>> group <- factor
>>> (c(1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,**1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,**
>>> 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,**0,0,0,0,0,0))
>>> d <- DGEList(counts=x,group=group)
>>> cpm.d <- cpm(d)
>>> d <- d[rowSums(cpm.d > 1) >= 4, ]
>>> d <- calcNormFactors(d)
>>> region <-
>>> factor(c("Caudate","Frontal","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal","Caudate",**
>>> "Frontal","Hippocampus","**Putamen","Temporal"))
>>> design <- model.matrix(~region+d$**samples$group)
>>> d <- estimateGLMCommonDisp(d, design,verbose=TRUE)
>>> d <- estimateGLMTrendedDisp(d, design)
>>> d <- estimateGLMTagwiseDisp(d, design)
>>> glmfit.tagwise.d <- glmFit(d,design,dispersion=d$**tagwise.dispersion)
>>> lrt.tagwise.d <- glmLRT(glmfit.tagwise.d)