[BioC] GO annotation

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Sat Sep 22 02:49:26 CEST 2012

Hi Lim,

First of all it all depends on what you have for gene identifiers.  If
you are like most people you will have entrez gene IDs.  So for now I
will assume you have those.

## So lets further assume you are working with humans and just choose
the 1st two entrez gene IDs so that we can make a (hopefully meaningful)
example
ids = c("1","2")
## now load the org library for humans
library(org.Hs.eg.db)
## then you can call select to extract your GO IDs like this:
select(org.Hs.eg.db, keys = ids, cols = "GO", keytype = "ENTREZID")

Now one thing to notice is that if you have some other kind of
identifier, then your keytype argument will have to be set to a
different value.  And hopefully, the kind of ID you are using, is
present in the package that you have to search...  See the manual page
for select for more information.

?select

 From your question, I also recognize that you may not be able to do
this because it sounds like you might be using a more unusual organism
and not be using something commonplace like human.  Well don't give up
just yet, because we may be able to help you there too.  You can look at
the manual page for the function makeOrgPackageFromNCBI to learn how you
can try to generate an org package from just the taxonomy ID (which you
can look up on NCBIs website).  If the data is available at NCBI, then
you should be able to generate a package from NCBI that will match your
organism of choice.

?makeOrgPackageFromNCBI

Does that answer your question?

   Marc