[BioC] Make cdf package error Human Exon array

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Apr 4 17:56:58 CEST 2013

Hi Maria,

On 4/4/2013 11:44 AM, Maria [guest] wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I am not sure if this is the way for asking because I am new in this kind of "help-website" so, please if I am wrong tell me.

You asked your question perfectly! Nice work.

> I am trying to make a cdf package for the Human Exon Array chip from Affymetrix (HuEx-1_0-st-v2). I have downloaded the file HuEx-10-st-v2.cdf from the Affymetrix website and write the following commands in the R program:
>
> library(makecdfenv)
> pkgpath<-tempdir()
> make.cdf.package("HuEx-1_0-st-v2.text.cdf",cdf.path="/Working/HuEx-1_0-st-v2.r2",compress=F, species = "Homo_sapiens", package.path = pkgpath)
>
> It costs me a lot of time and most of the RAM memory of my computer and at the end the following message appears:
>
> Reading CDF file.
> Error in .Call("reaD file", as.character(file), as.integer(3),
> as.integer(compress), :promise already under evaluation: recursive default
> argument reference or earlier problems?
>
> I have no idea if I am doing anything wrong or if there is a better method for making the package, so any help will be really welcome.

You are doing something wrong - the makecdfenv package isn't designed
for these types of arrays, which is why it failed. To analyze exon
arrays, you have two choices. You can either use the oligo or xps
package. I am unfamiliar with xps, but Christian Stratowa, the author of
that package is very helpful.

I am more familiar with oligo. For this package you can just load the
package and then do something like

dat <- read.celfiles(list.celfiles())

assuming you started R in the same directory that contains your
celfiles. Otherwise you need to add in path information so these
functions can find the files. You can then do

eset <- rma(dat)

and depending on the goals of your analysis, you can select the level at
which you want to summarize your data. See ?rma for more information.

Best,

Jim