[BioC] EdgeR - generating appropriate design and contrast matrix : multi-factorial experiment

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Apr 6 00:34:12 CEST 2013

Dear Zaki,

The best way forward would be for you to collaborate with a statistician
at your own institution, if you can possibly do that.  edgeR provides the
capabilities to do lots of analyses, but figuring out what analyses are
appropriate for your scientific problem is another question.  When I work
with biologists, it often takes months or years for us to understand all
the scientist's questions and to translate these into appropriate
statistical analyses.  So there is no way that I can tell you in a few
sentences how to analyse your data appropriately.

However your stated aim "To find DE genes between tumour samples which are
sensitive to drug A and tumour samples which are resistant to drug A"
seems to have an easy answer.  The drug_A column splits your samples into
four groups (resistant, medium, sensitive, unknown) and you want to
compare the resistant and sensitive groups.  This is one-way layout, and
you can follow Section 3.2 of the edgeR User's Guide.

Please don't put sample IDs into a factor like:

  Groups = factor(paste(targets$samples,targets$drug_A,sep="."))

This is in effect trying to treat each sample as its own group, and that
makes no sense.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
http://www.statsci.org/smyth