[BioC] DESeq: computing 95% CI for negative binomial distribution ?

Yvan Wenger yvan.wenger at unige.ch
Wed Apr 10 18:54:33 CEST 2013

Hi Mike,

In fact have timecourse data (I attach an example here and hope it goes
through). However, the confidence intervals shown in the figure are
computed assuming a normal distribution.

I am speaking only about normalized data, no ratio or other comparisons
between two conditions.

For the measurement I have replicates, I would like to plot them as the
mean ± 95% confidence intervals. As I understand, but I might be wrong, the
upper and lower confidence intervals shouldn't be symmetric as the data
follow a negative binomial distribution (and if I am wrong here, my
question makes no sense). Basically, I was wondering if it was possible to
use the dispersion estimates calculated by DESeq to calculate the lower and
upper confidence intervals and raw (normalized) read counts.

I hope what I intend to do is now more clear.

Yvan