[BioC] ReportingTools error

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Apr 11 20:05:19 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am getting an error when trying to create HTML pages with
ReportingTools, using an MArrayLM object as input. The error I get is

Error in expression.dat[probe, ] : subscript out of bounds

which appears to come from .make.gene.plots(), specifically here:

  for (probe in rownames(df)) {
         if ("Symbol" %in% colnames(df)) {
             ylab <- paste(df[probe, "Symbol"], ylab.type)
         }
         else {
             ylab <- paste(probe, ylab.type)
         }
         bigplot <- stripplot(expression.dat[probe, ] ~ factor,

The problem being that the rownames for a topTable object will be the
row numbers of the MArrayLM object from whence the data came (this was
recently harmonized by Gordon Smyth, so the row.names will always be the
row number, regardless of using topTable() or topTableF()).

In other words, it appears that probe is assumed to be the row name,
when in fact it will be the row number. So something like

for(probe in as.numeric(rownames(df))){

should do the trick.

Best,

Jim