[BioC] spline example from limma user's guide

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 18 04:25:22 CEST 2013

Dear Juliet,

Yes, using duplicateCorrelation to estimate the within-subject correlation
is a valid way to go.

The alternative is to set subject as an explanatory factor as Paul
Geeleher suggested in his reply.

The first approach is statistically more powerful, the second makes fewer
assumptions.  If you have lots of subjects, first approach might be good.
If you have only two subjects or some subjects are distinctly different
from others (outliers), use the second approach.

Best wishes
Gordon