[BioC] ComBat - question about normalization method

Johnson, William Evan wej at bu.edu
Mon Apr 22 22:21:16 CEST 2013

Maren,

I hope you don't mind but I cc'd the bioconductor mailing list as well.

In most cases, I think ComBat should work okay on the pre-normalized data. However, I can imagine cases where it may not work as well, so you may have to be careful. For example, if you have one batch that has more low to moderate quality samples than another, then the batch effects could reappear once you do the normalization or downstream analysis--depending on what you do (I am not familiar with your S-Score method, so maybe this isn't a problem).

However, what I would strongly recommend to you is to use our SCAN normalization approach (Piccolo et al. 2012, Genomics--Bioconductor: 'SCAN.UPC'), that does a probe-level, single-sample normalization, followed by ComBat (Bioconductor: 'sva'). This will background correct, normalize, and adjust for batch all on the probe level. Then you are all set for downstream analysis.

Hope this helps,

Evan