[BioC] Differences between lmfit model(from limma package) and Illumina-custom Model (from GenomeStudio)

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 26 07:40:36 CEST 2013

Dear Abdul,

Please keep discussion on the list.

I don't believe that that the Illumina-custom analysis is to be
recommended, but it is not described in sufficient detail to critique it
properly.

Generally speaking, vendor-supplied statistical analyses are a convenience
for some users, but they are not usually subject to peer-review and they
can't be expected to be as good as the best academic statistical
treatments of data from the same platforms.  This has been true for
Affymetrix and other platforms besides Illumina.

Note also that your differential results will depend on preprocessing
steps including background correction and normalization as well as on the
statistical test used, and the limma and lumi packages provide
preprocessing options not available in GenomeStudio.  I personally
recommend the neqc() function in limma for this purpose.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
http://www.statsci.org/smyth