[BioC] ComBat: Could it utilize technical replicates?

Johnson, William Evan wej at bu.edu
Sun Aug 11 01:57:04 CEST 2013

Hi Essi,

Yes, ComBat can definitely utilize this information. Just replace your current 'Covariate 1' with a covariate that just has the sample letter (e.g. A, B, C, C, D, D, E, ... ). Note that this will be sufficient because your 'Covariate 1' is nested within sample letter. Under this setup, ComBat will preserve all variation due to sample type (and as a result risk level) and effectively just use the repeated samples to adjust for batch.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Evan