[BioC] defining accessors (cols, keys, keytypes, select) for annotation package built with AnnotationForge package

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 14 20:52:20 CEST 2013

On 08/14/2013 04:58 AM, Sashi wrote:
> [...]
>> organism package but something else entirely), then you might need to
>> use the vignette above.
>>
>> I hope this helps you,
>>
>>     Marc
>>
>> On 08/13/2013 04:33 AM, Rameswara Sashi Kiran Challa wrote:
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> I am trying to build an annotation organism package by using Annotation
>>> Forge package. I followed this
>>>
> document<http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.12/bioc/vignettes/AnnotationForge/inst/doc/NewSchema.pdf>written
>>> by Gabor Csardi.
>>> I was able to build a sqlite database and create an Annotation package
>>> using the makeAnnDbPkg() function.
>>>
>>> I understand cols(), keys(), keytypes() and select() are set as generic
>>> methods in AnnotationDbi.
>>>
>>> When I look into methods-AnnotationDb.R script in AnnotationDbi package, I
>>> see cols() method is set and it actually reads all the columns of all the
>>> tables in the sqlite table.
>>>
>>> When I run *cols() *on *org.At.tair.db  *I get few values which are
>>> actually not field/column names in the sqlite db. For Eg. there is no table
>>> called "GO" in org.At.tair.sqlite database. I am unable to understand how
>>> it creates these values. Could someone please help me understand how and
>>> where exactly these accessor functions are defined and how and where are
>>> they to be modified to be able to access the data in the sqlite db that I
>>> am creating for the organism I am working on.
>>>
>>> ==========================

>>>    [1] "TAIR"         "CHRLOC"       "CHRLOCEND"    "ENZYME"       "PATH"
>>>

>>> [6] "PMID"         "REFSEQ"       "SYMBOL"       "GENENAME"     "GO"
>>>

>>> [11] "EVIDENCE"     "ONTOLOGY"     "GOALL"        "EVIDENCEALL"
> "ONTOLOGYALL"
>>> [16] "ARACYC"       "ARACYCENZYME" "ENTREZID"     "CHR"
>>> =======================================
>>>
>>> Please point me to any documentation available for the same.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time,
>>> Sashi
>>>
>>> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> Bioconductor at ...
> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply. Referring to the document you pointed me to, I
> created another R script within the organism package skeleton( an R script
> apart from zzz.R) and set cols, keytypes accessor methods.
>
> As part of annotation packages Bimaps are created in every annotation
> package. How do we use these Bimaps in these accessor methods? Am I right in
> thinking that these Bimaps are to be used in these accessor methods? Or
> those Bimaps have to be accessed only via get(), mget(), toTable() methods?
>
> Also, can you please let me know if there is any documentation available on
> how the GO views are created? I see there are seperate tables like go_cc,
> go_mf, go_bp, etc under Arabidopsis annotation package. Is it necessary to
> have go_cc, go_mf, go_bp, go_mf_all, like tables in the sqlite database for
> the customized annotation package I am creating? Will not just a single

Hi Sashi,

I really doubt that you need to think about bimaps at all.  You don't
need them to implement select, cols, keytypes or keys.  And they are
really only still supported for the sake of older legacy code.  The get,
mget, and toTable methods are defined to help with bimaps, but you
probably don't need to use these methods anyways. So it's very unlikely
that you would even need to use bimaps let alone implement them.

And the go view is just a SQLite database view.  A view is sort of like
a pre-canned database query that appears as a table.  Our "go view" is
really just the union of go_bp, go_mf, and go_cc tables. Those three
separate tables allow us to still keep the different terms (from the
different ontologies) as separate from each other in the database.  But
since we are using a view, we can also easily query all three of them
(as if they were lumped together) WITHOUT actually duplicating all that
data into another enormous table.  And the performance for this is still
great.

You can read a bit about how SQLITE views are created here if you are
curious:

http://www.sqlite.org/lang_createview.html

But if you are making an org package, why not just use
makeOrgPackageFromNCBI?

   Marc