[BioC] Limma, model with several factors

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Aug 15 21:54:21 CEST 2013

Hi Ingrid,

On 8/15/2013 12:12 PM, Ingrid Dahlman wrote:
> Hi!
> Thank you for updating me on the analysis.
> I have tried to use the approach described below by Gordon but get an error message. Can you tell me what is wrong with my script below?
>
> The study design is as before
>
> Subject center treatment timepoint
> 1            1         A         T0
> 1            1         A         T12
> 2            1         B         T0
> 2            1         B         T12
> 3            2         A         T0
> 3            2         A         T12
> 4            2         B         T0
> 4            2         B         T12
> (in reality I have>60 subjects)
>
> and I wish to compare A.T12vsT0 with B.T12vsT0
>
> I write
> eset12.txt<-read.delim("eset12.txt",header=TRUE)
> target12<-read.delim("target12.txt",header=TRUE)
> eset12<-readExpressionSet("eset12.txt","target12.txt",header=TRUE)
> SUBJECT<- factor(target12$SUBJECT)
> TREATMENT<- factor(target12$TREATMENT, levels=c("A","B"))
> TIMEPOINT<- factor(target12$TIMEPOINT, levels=c("T0","T12"))
> A.T0vsT12<- as.numeric(TREATMENT=="A"&  TIMEPOINT=="T0")
> B.T0vsT12<- as.numeric(TREATMENT=="B"&  TIMEPOINT=="T0")
> design<- model.matrix(~SUBJECT+A.T0vsT12+B.T0vsT12)
> cont.matrix<- makeContrasts(Diff12T=(A.T0vsT12-B.T0vsT12),levels=design)
>
> and after entering the last row into R I get the message
>
> Warning message:
> In makeContrasts(Diff12T = (A.T0vsT12 - B.T0vsT12), levels = design) :
>    Renaming (Intercept) to Intercept
>
> What does the above mean?

The default in R is to label the intercept term as (Intercept), with
parentheses. This warning is just telling you that it has been renamed
to Intercept, without the parentheses. This won't affect your results,
and is only done because the column names of your design matrix have to
be syntactically valid names, and (Intercept) is not syntactically valid.

Best,

Jim

> Ingrid
>

> *****************************