[BioC] segfault ReadAffy cause 'memory not mapped'

Brian D. Peyser PhD brian.peyser at nih.gov
Thu Aug 22 00:56:58 CEST 2013

On Thu Aug 22 2013 6:18 PM, I wrote:
> I had considered it could be a limit of the signed int indices for R
> vectors/arrays, but I thought that had changed as of R v3.0. Also, I
> thought that would give the error 'too many elements specified' rather
> than a 'memory not mapped' segfault. I've certainly allocated close to
> 64 GiB to R doing other things with these data, I'm just not sure if any
> individual vectors were that large.

I just ran:

$ R

R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> temp = array(rnorm(3750*604258), c(3750, 604258))

and R was allocated 30.0 GiB, and did not crash. From hgu133plus2probe
info, there are 604258 probes (_not_ probesets) on each hgu133plus2
Genechip, and I have 3750 chips. Therefore, I can generate a
3750-by-604258 array of random data without a segfault, and R shoots
right past 16 GiB allocated with no hiccups.

-Brian
--
Brian D. Peyser PhD
Special Assistant to the Associate Director