[BioC] Can gage not use large gene sets for pathway analysis?

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 15:22:50 CET 2013

Hi Richard,
It is normal that you don’t get any significant calls in a pathway analysis (with multiple pathways/tests) because none of the p-values (or q-values) is small enough. Very likely, there is not enough testing power with your data given its sample size, noise level and experiment quality. The adjusted p-values (or q-values) would be different when the total number of tests/pathways changes.
With your current dataset, you may do 2 things:
-Loosen the selection criteria (q-value cutoff), the option cutoff = 0.1 in sigGeneSet function and  q.cutoff = 0.1in gagePipe function can be set to a bigger value, say 0.2 etc.
-change the gene set size filter to include more pathways that are actually tested, the argument in gage function is set.size = c(10, 500). You can set it to be set.size = c(10, 2000) or even set.size = c(10, Inf).
HTH