[BioC] Analysing Affy data with limma

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Dec 12 16:20:30 CET 2013

Hi January,

I think what you are doing is probably fine. From the paper:

"Affymetrix CEL files were imported, summarized using the GC-RMA
algorithm, and baseline-normalized to the median of all arrays."

So that's pretty close to what you would get if you just took the
celfiles yourself and ran them through affy or gcrma (or xps or frma or
SCAN.UPC), except for the location change from shifting the data by the
median. And I wouldn't be too surprised by very small p-values because
you have a) 27 samples/group, and b) they have tuberculosis, which I
would expect to get the various white blood cells really worked up.

However, I believe you are ignoring the fact that these data are paired,
and should be including a 'patient' factor to account for the pairing.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.