[BioC] statistical test for time course data

Richard Friedman friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:30:16 CET 2013

Dear Chris,

	The F-test in Limma will tell you if at least one point is different from the others.
It won't tell you which one.
	The program EDGE (not EdgeR which is a different program entirely) will do
the same based on an model which explicitly takes temporal variation into
account (this is why I mention it).
	There is also a t-test that deals with whether a single measurement is a member
of the same normal distribution as other measurements. I am not sure off hand, how to
do this in R. If you implement this in R and do it for all the rows, it may be the test that
you want. If you do this, you will be forgoing the empirical Bayesian increase in accuracy
in Limma or the explicit  temporal modeling in EDGE, but that is up to you. If you do
this, you should current for false discoveries.

With hopes that this help,

Best wishes,
Rich
Richard A. Friedman, PhD
Associate Research Scientist,
Biomedical Informatics Shared Resource
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC)
Lecturer,
Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI)
Educational Coordinator,
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (C2B2)/
National Center for Multiscale Analysis of Genomic Networks (MAGNet)
Room 824
Irving Cancer Research Center
Columbia University
1130 St. Nicholas Ave