[BioC] Agilent Mouse 8x60K array

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Feb 4 21:53:38 CET 2013

Hi Nat,

On 2/4/2013 3:31 PM, Nathan (Nat) Goodman wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> Everything you mentioned is good, and I agree straightforward to program up by hand.  The other things I'd like to do are equally obvious and probably not too hard.
>
> 1) Use the negative controls to define the limit of detection.

See filter.wellaboveNEG in the Agi4x44PreProcess package.

> 2) Use the positive controls to define the standard curve -- aka normalization -- or at least confirm that normalization worked as expected.

I like the idea of checking things, but am less enthused about using the
positive controls to normalize. These are spiked in by shaky-handed
technicians, and are done as a different step from extracting total RNA.

As an ex-lab rat with extensive immunoassay experience I am highly
suspect of any serial dilution that involves measuring (and aliquotting)
2µl of a solution using a pipettor. I just don't believe it can be done
accurately, and is a recipe for uber high variance for the standard curve.

> 3) Propagate the variance estimates from the replicated probes to downstream tests of significance.

You won't be able to do that with limma, unless I am missing something.
And I don't think that is the right thing to do anyway. The variance
estimates you are talking about are intra-array variances, which tend to
be smaller than the inter-array variances that the eBayes() step in
limma is adjusting for.

And if you were to propagate the intra-array variances, it would only be
reasonable to do so for the replicated spots. But if you are interested
in propagating uncertainty, you might look at the puma package.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.