[BioC] Detecting differential usage of introns from RNA-seq data.

Alejandro Reyes alejandro.reyes at embl.de
Wed Feb 6 23:39:58 CET 2013

Dear Fong Chun Chan,

Yes the IDs from the introns are causing some problems in the functions.

It is because DEXSeq uses feature names from the exonCountSet object the
concatenation of the gene ID and the exon ID separated by a ":"
character, so introducing additional ":" causes some parsing errors.
Could you replace the ":" in your exon IDs for another character?
I think that should solve this problem!

Alejandro

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to use DEXSeq for intronic regions just
like how I did it with exons and I am running in this the problem when I
am trying to estimatelog2FoldChanges. This is the error:

exonCountSet <- estimatelog2FoldChanges( exonCountSet )
Error in do.call(`[[<-`, c(quote(coefIndices), as.list(lvlTbl[i, ]),
coefNames[i])) :
   [[ ]] subscript out of bounds

My code to get to this point is (ignore the fact that the variables are
called exon. I am just copying the code from my exonic DEXSeq run):
-----------------------------

print('Building ExonCountSet ...')
exonCountSet <- newExonCountSet( countData = sumExonsDf[selectedExons,
samples], design = designMat, geneIDs = sumExonsDf[selectedExons,
'geneID'], exonID = sumExonsDf[selectedExons, 3], exonIntervals =
exonAnnotDf[selectedExons, c('chr', 'start', 'end', 'strand')] )
print('... Done')

print('Estimating size factors ...')
exonCountSet <- estimateSizeFactors(exonCountSet)
print('... Done')

print('Estimating dispersions ...')
if ( opt$trt ){
         print('Using the TRT functions ...')
         exonCountSet <- estimateDispersionsTRT( exonCountSet, nCores =
opt$nCores )
} else{
         exonCountSet <- estimateDispersions(exonCountSet, nCores =
opt$nCores)
}
print('... Done')

print('Fitting dispersions ...')
exonCountSet <- fitDispersionFunction( exonCountSet )
print('... Done')

print('Testing for differential exon usage ...')
if ( opt$trt ){
         print('Using the TRT functions ...')
         exonCountSet <- testForDEUTRT( exonCountSet, nCores = opt$nCores )
} else{
         exonCountSet <- testForDEU( exonCountSet, nCores = opt$nCores )
}
print('... Done')

exonCountSet <- estimatelog2FoldChanges( exonCountSet )

Any idea what is happening here? Does it have something to do with
exonIDs actually? Because I don't actually have proper intronIDs so what
I am actually doing is using the genomic coordinates as the intronID. So
an intronID will look like:

chr1:861181-861301

I wondering if this is causing a problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. I am using DEXSeq 1.5.6 the version that I got from the svn
repository so that I have access to the TRT functions.

Fong