[BioC] (missing?) UCSCKG -> SYMBOL mappings in Homo.sapiens (etc.)

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 12 22:22:24 CET 2013

Hi Tim,

First of all let me assure you that we have NOT abandoned UCSC known
gene IDs.  They have just been migrated to another field (TXNAME).  The
reason for the deprecation is just so that people don't rely on getting
them in this location (UCSCKG).   The rationale is that people should be
able to get something that is in actuality a transcript ID from a
transcript oriented object.  In spite of the severe sounding deprecation
warning, these IDs have actually been updated with every release.  I
have (so far) just kept updating them simply because I did not want to
inconvenience anyone by making them go away too soon.  My hope was that
after enough time had elapsed I could quietly remove them with minimized
pain.  So don't panic.  But please don't keep using then either.

So the most important  thing to know is that you should get things like
UCSC known gene IDs from the TXNAME field and from a TranscriptDb, or
OrganismDb.  (When appropriate: since not all transcriptomes can even
have known gene IDs.)

So to look up a gene symbol from a knownGene name you should be trying
to do it like this:

library(Homo.sapiens
select(Homo.sapiens, cols=c("SYMBOL","TXNAME"), keys=c("uc002yjx.2"),
keytype="TXNAME")

As for the other issues you are having with the specific IDs you were
looking for, I have been investigating that and it appears to trace back
to UCSCs genome browser (and their associated resources).  I will be
therefore moving this thread to the bioc-devel list for the rest of the
discussion.  Any interested parties can tune in over there.

   Marc