[BioC] Extract microarray data for genes identified by GO analysis

Mark Ebbert me.mark at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:27:15 CET 2013

Jim,

Thank you for your patience. I realize there is only so much you can do without a reproducible example, but here's one bit of information that makes me a bit suspicious. If I just type "mfOver1" I get a summary of the object as follows stating that there are 105 categories with a p-value < 0.05:

> mfOver1
Gene to GO MF  test for over-representation
389 GO MF ids tested (105 have p < 0.05)
Selected gene set size: 133
    Gene universe size: 18105
    Annotation package: lumiMouseAll

If I then run the probeSetSummary using the same object, it says 92:
> ps1<-probeSetSummary(mfOver1,sigProbesets=sigProbe1)
> length(ps1)
[1] 92

I tried using the entire (original) probe set and the expected significant probe set and the number stays at 92. I also tried specifying "pvalue=0.05" as previously stated without any difference (since that was the original parameter). I'd be happy to discover I made a silly mistake, but don't the above results seem suspicious? Given I didn't run any code between the two examples, it's hard for me to imagine that code run prior could cause this discrepancy. But I've been wrong before...