[BioC] Rotate xtick or ytick labels to any angle

Alexander Ploner alexander.ploner at ki.se
Tue Feb 26 10:21:37 CET 2013

Dear Richard,

neither annHeatmap nor annHeatmap2, the two functions that generate
annotated heatmaps in Heatplus, support rotated axis labels. This is
simply because they use the underlying R base graphics routines
(specifically the ?axis function) which do not provide this functionality.

Personally, if I run into very long row- or column labels that won't fit
or overlap, I try one of the following:

1) shorten the labels: generally, shorter labels are more informative
anyway; ?abbreviate or ?substr usually do the trick

2) expand space for labels: the labels-argument allows you to set the
parameter nrow, which controls how much space is set aside for labels
(default: 3); see ?annHeatmap2 and Figures 8 and 9 in the vignette
annHeatmap.pdf

3) reduce the font size of the labels: this will generally do very
little on its own, but it may help in conjunction with 1 or2; controlled
via parameter cex of the labels-argument, see ?annHeatmap2

Hope this helps,

alexander

--
Alexander Ploner