[BioC] query regarding memory allocation...please help

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Feb 28 15:17:18 CET 2013

Hi Urvesh,

Please don't send the same exact email with slightly different subject
line (one minute apart!). I'm not sure what you expect to gain by doing
so, but rest assured that you will simply irritate those who might help you.

On 2/28/2013 4:11 AM, urvesh patel [guest] wrote:
>> f1=list.celfiles(path="D://urvesh//3",full.names=TRUE)
>> memory.size()
> [1] 11.45
>> x1=ReadAffy(filenames=f1)
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 806.3 Mb
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In dimnames(x)<- dn :
>    Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
> 2: In dimnames(x)<- dn :
>    Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
> 3: In dimnames(x)<- dn :
>    Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
> 4: In dimnames(x)<- dn :
>    Reached total allocation of 1535Mb: see help(memory.size)
>> help(memory.size)
> starting httpd help server ... done
>
> this is the error which i am getting...please try to help me out..and i even tried extending memory size to 4095 using memory.limit(size=4095) ..but still the problem remains.....

The obvious answer here is that you don't have enough memory, and
depending on how many celfiles you have, 4 Gb may never be enough. You
can try justRMA(), which uses less memory, or you can try the xps
package, which will also use less memory, or you can try
aroma.affymetrix, which isn't a BioC package, but which uses less memory
as well.

Best,

Jim