[BioC] Bioconductor Cloud AMI

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 1 22:12:28 CET 2013

On 01/01/2013 02:59 AM, Rohmatul Fajriyah wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a simulation program in R, which I run it in my laptop.
> To produce 1 result, it took about 7 hours and I need about 50, 100, and 500 results.

It's worth asking whether the amount of time to do a simulation seems reasonable
for the processing power of a modern computer -- maybe there are some
inefficiencies in your R code that could result in speed-ups of 100-fold or
more? Probably at a high level you can step through your code and see where the
obvious bottlenecks are. If that fails, then ?Rprof might be helpful. Also for
that kind of computing investment it's worth asking whether you are implementing
your simulation with an appropriate algorithm; perhaps there are ways to
re-formulate the problem in a more insightful way, leading to both greater
throughput and perhaps analytic or conceptual insight.

Martin