[BioC] Computer for the analysis of high-throughput genomic data

Sat Jan 5 20:40:55 CET 2013

Hi Alberto,

Sorry to continue a bit of an OT thread, but I thought this would be
useful to share:

I just stumbled onto this blog post about a "reasonable" HPC system
for a small bioinformatics lab -- if you're on a budget, this looks
pretty good to me!

http://thegenomefactory.blogspot.com/2012/10/building-bioinformatics-server-on.html

In short:

* 3.2 Ghz 6 core CPU (12 threads)
* 64 GB RAM
* 12TB of storage (RAID 6 (software, not hardware))

~ $2,600 (US)

It's not a hardware RAID, and no ECC memory, but it makes a rather
serviceable machine -- and at that price ... heck, get a couple! ;-)

No idea what to expect for maintenance costs, though ...

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou