[BioC] Problem with biomaRt update in R-2.15.1

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:42:17 CET 2013

Hi Eleni,

On 1/8/2013 8:33 AM, Eleni Christodoulou [guest] wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor experts,
>
> I have been working with some Bioconductor packages in R14 which I was using in the past. I recently installed R15. I upgraded the Bioconductor installation using
> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")  and
> biocLite("BiocUpgrade")
>
> I got in my terminal:
> Using Bioconductor version 2.11 (BiocInstaller 1.8.3), R version 2.15.
> Old packages: 'biomaRt'
> Update all/some/none? [a/s/n]:
>
> I answered a (all packages) in the last question. However, biomaRt could not be installed. Here is the error message that I received:
> checking for xml2-config... no
> Cannot find xml2-config

This means that configure couldn't find the headers for libxml. How you
do this is dependent on the distro you are using, and if you have sudo
privileges. If you have sudo privileges, you can do something like

yum install libxml2-dev
or
apt-get install libxml2-dev

depending on your distro. Or if you don't have sudo privileges, you
should ask the administrator to install them for you.

Best,

Jim