[BioC] Nimblegen arrays; random probes

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:58:58 CET 2013

Hi Maria,

On 1/10/2013 9:24 AM, María José Rivas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an experiment with 72 cDNA Nimblegen arrays. I notice that the
> arrays have some probes type RANDOM (I guess that there are control
> probes). I have performed the normalization doing:
>
> 1. Background correction
>
> RG50_bg<- backgroundCorrect (RGback, method="normexp", offset=50)
>
> RGback$printer<- list(ngrid.r=1, ngrid.c=1, nspot.r=nrow(RGback),
> nspot.c=ncol(RGback))
>

> 2. Between-array normalization
>
> MA.q_50_bg<- normalizeBetweenArrays(RG50_bg, method="quantile")
>
> In the object MA.q_50_bg there are still random probes. Should the
> normalization removes them??? Or is normal doing the analysis with random
> probes???

The normalization simply attempts to adjust the array distributions in
order to account for technical variability. There is no removal of
probes (and how would a function designed to work on arbitrary arrays
know which probes to remove?).

If these probes are in fact controls (which you don't seem to know, and
as the analyst it is your job to know these things), then you can argue
that they should be removed at some point. The usual prescription is to
remove after the eBayes() step.

Best,

Jim