[BioC] Windows or Excel to R txt file

Maciej Jończyk mjonczyk at biol.uw.edu.pl
Thu Jan 10 22:59:04 CET 2013

> i am wondering whether there is a special need to "clean up" txt
> files
> that were created in windows or Excel before using them in R.
> if so, how would you clean them?

There are special package "foreign" which allows to read external data
(such as xls).

As for txt files (tab-delimited (?)), they could be read with
read.table.
If the file was created in Windows environment there could be problem
with end of the line character
(which are different in Win and Unix).
I solve that just replacing "\r" and "\n" with "$" in bash (sed).

HTH

--
Maciej Jonczyk,
Department of Plant Molecular Ecophysiology