[BioC] edgeR continuous variables

Mark Robinson mark.robinson at imls.uzh.ch
Fri Jan 11 06:51:58 CET 2013

Hi Fredrik,

Short answer is yes -- edgeR GLM will handle continuous covariates.  Correct, there is no case study on this, but it's just another variable/covariate and I guess  categorical variables (designed experiments) are more common.

The logFC in this case is the (log of the) multiplicative effect of a single unit increase in the covariate.  I googled an example (See Slides 7-9):
http://courses.education.illinois.edu/EdPsy589/lectures/4glm3-ha-online.pdf

Hope that helps.

Best, Mark

Prof. Dr. Mark Robinson
Bioinformatics, Institute of Molecular Life Sciences
University of Zurich
http://tiny.cc/mrobin