[BioC] new package for generating interactive HTML reports

Xavier de Pedro xavier.depedro at vhir.org
Fri Jan 11 10:02:20 CET 2013

Dear Josh & co.:

Thanks for producing such a package, it looks promising indeed!

I see that it uses jquery data tables, and the live filtering of the
data is very fast (nice!).
I have a few quick questions, after a quick review of your vignette and
examples:

Have you experienced any issues when the data set contained in the
browser is very large (regardless that you set the browser to display
just 10 records at a time; I understand that the whole data set is
loaded in the browser)?

And in my relaxed todo list (without hurries) I had the idea to create a
similar package to produce wiki syntax for tables from R data frames,
and to display png (or svg) images within pages to be displayed through
wiki engines (with it's appropriated syntax for the wiki engine of
interest). A few years ago I had to do that and I produced some custom
function 'ad hoc' without releasing it (yet) in any R package. In our
example, we run r scripts through Tiki (wiki) pages, through PluginR,
but the output is either bare text (so far) or images (png or svg), and
any modification is handled by R commands by hand. And a function to
produce the "Fancy Tables" that Tiki can produce with "JQuery Sortable
Tables" is needed ( http://doc.tiki.org/PluginFancyTable ). I foresee
that maybe the datatable jquery plugin could be even better for that,
since it contains pagination and live filtering, which can be very very
handy!.

And maybe you are open to receive improvements/extensions to your
package to support other ways to produce the tables required for better
integration for wiki engines such as Tiki? Or should I fork from your
package?

Thanks in advanced, and congratulations for the generic package that you
created.

Xavier

--
Xavier de Pedro Puente, Ph.D.
Statistics and Bioinformatics Unit (UEB)

Ph. +34 934894007 / Fax +34 934894015
xavier.depedro at vhir.org
http://ueb.vhir.org