[BioC] merging VCF files

Stephanie M. Gogarten sdmorris at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 11 23:22:02 CET 2013

Hi all,

Does VariantAnnotation currently have a method to merge VCF objects?
I've been looking through the documentation and code and haven't found
anything like this.  If not, I think it would be a useful feature to add.

My use case: I have two VCF files, with the same samples (but in
different order in each file).  The two files have non-overlapping
variants.  I would love to have an rbind(VCF, VCF) method; then I could
do something like:

vcf2 <- vcf2[,colnames(vcf1)]
vcf <- rbind(vcf1, vcf2)

cbind() would also be useful, for combining files with the same variants
but different samples.

thanks,
Stephanie