[BioC] Using summarizeOverlaps with multiple samples/readgroups in a single bam file?

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Sat Jan 12 21:29:10 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm looking at simplifying my differential expression pipeline a little
bit by merging all my input bam files into one bam file with multiple
samples/read groups and then using that bam file as input to
summarizeOverlaps. Is this supported in any way? I've never worked with
sam read groups before (I always just did one sample per file), so I
don't really know anything about them.

So is it supported to take a single bam file and use summarizeOverlaps
or some other mechanism to get a SummarizedExperiment object with one
column for each sample in the bam file, rather than one column per file?

-Ryan Thompson