[BioC] phenoTest and variable-wise multiple testing

Jon Manning Jonathan.Manning at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 13:07:32 CET 2013

Hi Bioconductors,

I'm using the phenoTest package to look for associations between various
continuous and categorical clinical variables and methylation values
stored in an eset-like object.

As suggested I apply the BH method to correct for multiple testing
probe-wise. However, as I understand it this does not account for
variable-wise multiple testing, and with my collaborator introducing
many new variables I'm concerned this will create unnecessary spurious
associations.

So the question is simple: should I just do a simple column
(variable)-wise bonferroni correction, after the row (probe) -wise BH
correction?

All pointers appreciated,

Regards,

Jon Manning

--
Dr Jonathan Manning
Bioinformatics Team
E: jmanning at staffmail.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.